Understanding the needs
“FASD is a spectrum of neurological, behavioral and cognitive deficits that interfere with growth, learning and socialization caused by maternal consumption of alcohol during pregnancy. The spectrum of alcohol-related birth defects is broad, with individuals potentially having cognitive or learning deficits, visual problems and/or higher than normal pain tolerance. People with FASD have the ability to learn, when assisting the person with FASD, discover what helps him/her learn and to help them enjoy the learning process. They may have many difficulties and challenges in their lives, it is important to encourage them to work to their potential, and make them aware of their strengths and talents.” There are five keys to working successfully with campers with FASD are:
- Structure: lack internal structure, so need as much external structure as possible
- Consistency: be consistent in responses
- Variety: use a variety of ways to keep their attention
- Brevity: brief with instructions and directions
- Persistence: repeat, repeat, repeat what you want them to learn
CAMP programs will be tailored to support and build on FASD strengths.
The goal of the camp is for each camper to enjoy themselves, in a safe environment, with respect for others. The benefits of attending camp are:
- Building Friendships: CAMP will provide opportunities for campers to form and build lasting relationships.
- Improving Social Communication: CAMP engages campers in social activities designed to develop communication among peer groups.
- Developing Life Skills: CAMP focuses on building life skills to assist each individual for everyday life.
- Learning Safety: Minimize risk-taking behaviors and teach campers the importance of safety.
- Providing Respite Care: Allows caregivers to recharge their battery, while campers are having fun at CAMP.
Ages: 9 - 18 years old
Camper to Staff Ratio: 2:1
Lodging: Indoor climate controlled cabins built in 2014
Transportation: Transportation to and from CAMP is the campers responsibility
- Gaga Dodgeball
- Drawing & Painting
- Arts & Crafts
- Climbing Tower
- Teams Challenge Course
- Ropes Course
- Supervised Campfires